Before we could begin the foyer the decayed porch decking leading to the front door had to be addressed. Long before we lived here someone had replaced just the ends of the boards but they installed the new ones with the nails driven directly into the face of each piece. Many of the nails had begun to protrude out and several boards were very loose. There was a bounce to one side as well so we assumed we would open it up and find more damage.
Removal of the decking revealed a big split in one of the beams. It would have to be replaced. It also unexpectedly revealed remains of a very old brick sidewalk that once lead to the portico removed when the porch was added.
Since we did not know the extent of the damage we would find until we had taken the decking off, we had yet to purchase any of the required lumber. Rather than making the trip to the store, we grabbed a piece of wood from the abandoned barn across the street. After replacing the beam we put down new tongue and groove decking in pieces the full width of the porch.
Moving on to the foyer, you can see it retained some lovely vintage shag green carpet. The woodwork had been hastily painted in the past and was covered in paint drips.
We decided to go with two earthy shades of green for the paint scheme. We used Benjamin Moore’s Kennebunkport Green for the walls and their Gloucester Sage for the trim. We added a late 19th century light fixture with an opalescent swirl shade that was originally made for use with gas. The ceiling is Bavarian Cream.